Question
Posted by: PEPPER | 2019/04/25

Cat lives indoors

We adopted a kitten in October last year. He is about 7 months old now. Very bright and cute, and at this point the only cat we have, besides our dogs. We have a busy street in the front of our property, and big dogs on the other side. We have palisades, but because of our pup, which is more than a year old now, we had put mesh in front of the palisades to prevent her from trying to get through them. But Pepper, our cat, is a climber of note. It helped for the pup but not for him. We both work in the day. We have replaced one of our rooms door with a mesh wire aluminium frame door. When we leave for work, and also because our front door stays open for the dogs to move in and out of the house, which they have been doing for years, we put him in the room and close the mesh door. When I come home, I let him go outside and just supervise him, in order to prevent him from jumping over any wall. I feel terrible, absolutely terrible every morning when I leave him there. He can see the dogs and he has a perch to look out of the window, There are all creature comforts for him. Food, a sandbox, a comfy chair and bed(it was my sons room before he moved to Johannesburg). I am trying to think of a solution to this problem. If you have any suggestions, I would welcome it. Just to mention when we got him, we bought him a leash and harness, and took him out like that. I only put the harness on when I let him go out, but let him walk without the lead, but under supervision, meaning I go out and watch him. Somebody told me that cats overseas actually go out with leashes only. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing?

- 2019/04/26

You can contact a veterinary behaviour practitioner in your area, she will be able to give advice;

VETERINARY BEHAVIOUR PRACTITIONERS

Pretoria - Centurion

Dr Mari Welthagen: mari.welthagen@gmail.com

Dr Yolande Johnson: clinic@zambesivet.co.za

Sr Carla van der Merwe: carla.vandermerwe@up.ac.za

Johannesburg

Dr Frederique Hurly: fchurly@mweb.co.za

Dr Le-anne Kleynhans: leanne@bromhofvet.co.za

Dr Leaura Velkoop: jabula1@mweb.co.za

Dr Donne Roberts: dr.donne.roberts@gmail.com

Dr Jackie Sharp: vets@sunninghillvillagevet.co.za

Sr Linda Venter: pawz.n.all@gmail.com

Durban

Dr Kylene Kelbe: kkelbe@gmail.com

Dr Trish Bredin: trish.bredin@mweb.co.za

Cape Town

Dr Varini Naidoo: saintf@mweb.co.za

Dr Aileen Pypers: aileen.vet@gmail.com

Dr Kegan Becker: kegan.bell01@gmail.com

Port Elizabeth

Dr Alma Kerr: almakerr@hotmail.com

Nelspruit

Dr Laura McIntyre: laura.canterbear@gmail.com

Gravelotte

Dr Nina Kisch: drninakisch@gmail.com (telephone and e-mail

consulting available and travels to Tzaneen, Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, Nelspruit