Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2020/09/22

C section date query

Good day. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my estimate 40 weeks to be at 17 October 2020. I am 34 years old, I have a 17 month old son. With my current pregnancy and last gynecologist visit (as of today 22 September 2020 I have placenta previa, my hemoglobin levels are low 8,8 and my blood pressure was 140/86. ( I had blood pressure problems and iron shortage problems before pregnancy). I am currently on medication for my blood pressure and iron. My gynecologist advised me that my c section will be done on 28 September 2020(37 weeks and 2 days gestation) due to the above reasons. The initial date for my csection would have been 02 October 2020 then I would have been 38 weeks, but it changed to 28 September 2020. On my previous scan baby on 01 September 2020 baby weighed already 3kg and it was noted he is quite large for his age. My question is, is my gynecologist rushing things and would it still be safe to do the c section on the 02 October 2020 or is his judgement right. Thank you very much Kind regards Ronel Barnard

- 2020/09/28

With a placenta praevia it is always a  balance between the risk of you bleeding from the placenta or going into labour and bleeding. Caesareans for placenta praevia are done any time from 34 - 38 weeks. I think your doctor's decision is reasonable, particularly since you also have high blood pressure.