Question
Posted by: | 2014/09/18

Burn

Last night I was heating up some oil to fry onions. Some splashed up and landed on my arm. I have 11 burns, most small splatters but 3 larger ones - about 2.5x5cm. It was obviously painful when it happened. I rinsed my arm under cold water, then applied burnshield and a bandage to my arm. This morning I have blisters on the two bigger spots. They are a deep dark red and dry. What surprised me is that it is not painful at all to touch. Did the burnshield heal the burn? Apart from leaving the blisters alone, is there something else I should do. I only had pain for about an hour and nothing since.

- 2014/09/18

No, you did well and as you said, do not "open" the blisters. Watch out for signs of infection such as a spreading redness, swelling, fever and worsening pain. The wound will probably heal with scarring, this sounds like a second degree burn that has gone through the top layer of the skin and partially through the second layer. When the wound is healed you can start to apply an oil that reduces scarring and remember to put sunscreen on these areas as they are more prone to the damage of the sun (after the wound has healed). Good luck!