Question
Posted by: | 2018/11/18

Blood pressure

My blood pressure is 150/80. I am a 65 year old man. My understanding is that if one person is 150/80 and another is 120/80, the person with 150/80 is more likely to get a stroke or a heart attack. But I also read that if a group of people have 150/80, and half of them take blood pressure medication to get down to 120/80 and the other half do not, there is little to no scientific evidence indicating that those who take the medication will be less likely to get a stroke or heart attack compared to the control group that does not take blood pressure medication. Could you comment on that? Thanks so much.

Expert ImageHypertension expert
- 2018/11/19

Yes systolic hypertension is directly linked to stroke risk, so get the 150 to less than 140 please.