Question
Posted by: Allison Gomez | 2020/08/10

Bleeding after masturbation

I am a 21 year old and my period started to become a little irregular before 1.5 years. Last year this time, I didn't have my period for 4 months and then had a very heavy period (heaviest I ever had) during August. My boyfriend and I live together and last year I traveled over summer. I wasn't sexually active since may and got my period only after I had sex at August. After august, my cycle was pretty normal but since December I started having period basically once every 1.5 or 2 months. I would have period on early december and then late january and at mid-march and early-may. My last normal cycle was May 4th to 7th. About mid-june this year I started spotting, I didn't care about it much because it was quite normal for me. I started getting worried when I didn't have my period till July. I did pregnancy test and it came out to be negative. By mid-june to early-july spotting was a normal routine for me. I spot everyday, even today.Sometimes, I feel like I'm bleeding from different area of my vagina than the normal period blood would come out which really confuses me more about what is happening. I didn't stress much cause I didn't want to delay my period more. Even though I haven't had sex in about 2 months, I masturbate using a vibrator (only simulation on clit), these days I'm noticing a pattern that everytime I'm masturbating and having an orgasm, I am bleeding like I'm on my period (with bright red color blood and uterus lining shading). I have sometimes spotted like period randomly but if I masturbate I bleed like period. I also stopped masturbating for certain days to see the pattern. I spot like period but way less when there's a gap on masturbating. There has been no unusual pain anywhere in my pelvic area. I used to get white mucus some days before starting my period but I have not seen that in a while. I sometimes feel like my body is giving out blood instead of white bleeding.I also used to have painful and tender breasts before my period but I have not had that feeling since months. I'm a pad user and for years I have noticed blood to mainly stay in the middle area of pad when I'm on my period, but now I notice a lot more blood on upper part of my vagina than I usually used to. I started staying/working from home since march and also started riding bicycle a lot since this may. Other than that there are no changes to my diet or schedule. I have never tried pills to regulate period before, I'm a little skeptical. Please give me advice.

- 2020/08/13

It sounds like the problem with your periods is that you are not ovulating regularly. There are many causes for this including polycystic ovarian syndrome, ovarian cysts, being underweight, thyroid problems. You should see a  doctor for a full assessment to see what the problem is in your case. 

The fact that there is more bleeding after masturbation may just be related to the fact that the uterine contractions at orgasm push more blood out at that time, whereas normally it would trickle out more slowly. It is unlikely to be related to the underlying cause.