Question
Posted by: Dee | 2020/02/21

"Big Snip" gone wrong

Hello, 2 weeks ago my now 6month old German shepherd went in for the "big snip". He hasn't been home since. First, he began bleeding profusely from the cut 2days after the op. The vet suggested they keep him there as we work full time and wouldn't be there in case of an emergency. He was due to be discharged today after the stitches were removed, only to find that the internal stitches (he had a undescended testicle) had come undone and there is a hole from which his colon has been protruding (we noticed the bulge last week already and when we questioned it, we were told its just swelling). They stitched him again this morning. Not sure when he will come home. I'm writing here to ask if this is a common occurrence. And I desperately need reassurance that he is going to be OK. I feel like a bad mother. I'm broken right now. We left this poor, helpless, perfect boy in what we thought were trustworthy hands (he is our first pet) and I feel like they have butchered him. Any tips on after care, etc will be highly appreciated.

- 2020/02/21

The best will be to follow your local vet’s advice; he / she would not have operated if not necessary. Ask regarding the best possible after care. If you are unsure, take him for a second opinion.