Question
Posted by: Daron | 2018/06/20

Bells Palsy or something more serious?

My wife had an exterior ear infection about 2 weeks ago that progressed each day. Her ear got swollen and from the diagnosis it was peripheral vertigo and an exterior ear infection. The swelling was causing her to get dizzy and vomiting. after a trip to the ER they got her on antibiotics and got her vomiting to quit. 2 days after we left the ER she developed face paralysis on the side where she had the ear infection as well as double vision at times. The swelling has reduced considerably and she is taking her meds. She is getting better with each day. We have a referral to get to an ENT which we have scheduled but its still 3 weeks out. Her mom, who is a Neuro-ICU nurse said she has bells palsy and it should go away but may take some time. From what I understand about Bells though is that it doesn't cause the vision problems? And the affected side she cant fully close her eye lid, although its really close. Should I try to get her into an ENT sooner? Should I see a neurologist instead? I just dont want this to be something that lingers on for her. Just not sure what direction to take from here.

- 2018/06/25

Hi Daron

I think you can take her to a GP-  this could be Bells palsy, it is usually caused by a viral infection of the facial nerve and is probably related to the infection that she had in the ear. Usually, and anti-viral medication as well as steroid treatment is prescribed. It might be a little bit late now, but I would still take her to the doctor to confirm the diagnosis and hear if there is any meds that can still be prescribed. Good luck and I hope that she feels better soon.