Question
Posted by: Chris | 2014/12/29

Banting eating plan and magnesium deficiency

I've been on the Banting diet for 4 months with no apparent side-effects and have lost 10 kg's. Lately I've developed random muscle twitching all over the body (no cramping) - also feel slightly shaky, but no loss of strength. Could this be due to the effect of low carbs and, if so, would a blood test provide a reliable indicator to confirm magnesium deficiency? If I am magnesium deficient what is the best supplement

Expert ImageVitamin Expert
- 2015/01/20

Dear Chris,

Apologies, I see the answer I tried to post was never published. Firstly, congratulations with your weight loss, it must be a great relief and wonderful sense of achievement. A low carb diet is very likely to make one feel less energised, sometimes tired and even shaky as you describe. A blood test would be the best indicator of a magnesium deficiency, but a fast and more cost effective option than a blood test to consider is to take a magnesium supplement and monitor your symptoms over 5 days of taking the supplement. 
The nutrients your body may lack on a low carb diet, that may result in fatigue-like symptoms include:
- Magnesium (increase your intake by including red meat, dark green leafy veg such as broccoli, spinach, baby spinach and rocket, as these still are low carb); Supplement your diet with a magnesium supplement that provides at least 100-150 mg elemental magnesium, other nutrients that support magnesium absorption include vitamin B6 and Vitamin C, so these added into a magnesium supplement is beneficial.
- Glucose from simple and complex carbohydrates (your body's carbohydrate reserves in your liver and muscles is called glycogen - when this is depleted the chances are great that you will feel physically drained; include intermediate carb veg in your diet such as beetroot, onion, carrot and butternut to increase your carbohydrate intake without compromosing your diet)
I hope this helps.
Kind regards, 
Andrea du Plessis

1
Posted by: Chris | 2015/01/22

Thanks. I have just started to supplement with a magnesium oil spray as magnesium is better absorbed through the skin it's said.

Reply to Chris