Question
Posted by: Dot | 2019/03/04

What regular check-ups should I do?

What annual tests would one require your doctor to do? I have a family history of diabetes, heart problems and now a sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer. A friend told me that she goes for annual tests where a lot of things are tested, including "cancer markers". I'm 50 years old and hardly visit my doctor because I'm not a sickly person. However, I do know that prevention is better than cure. Your help please.

- 2019/03/07

Hi Dot
I suggest that you have an annual pap smear as well as a mammogram. The other basic tests would be to check your fasting blood glucose and blood cholesterol, as well as your blood pressure. There is a blood test, CEA, that is a cancer marker which I would suggest especially if you have a family history of ovarian cancer. A full blood count is also advisable. Good luck!