Question
Posted by: Anna | 2020/07/09

Anemia showing for two years in bloodtests but nobody told me (+ c-reactive protein)

Hi, Where I live we have access to our bloodwork result. I'd never checked them myself, because up until last month my doctor had seemed to explain fairly fine to me. But then I got diagnosed with anemia and given iron supplements. It had happened once 1 1/2 ago and I was treated but had no follow up bloodwork. Today I checked my results, because I was curious and my 6 bloodtests in the past TWO YEARS show anemia and this last one (a month ago) has a note that my c-reactive protein is elevated (about 2 times normal according to the report). I've been experiencing GERD symtoms accompanied by abdomen pain and urgency to go to the bathroom and rectum pain. My doctor put me on Zanitidine (zantac) and Pantoprazole and put in a request for an endoscopy but is assuring me everything is fine. After discovering he didn't tell me about the anemia in the past, I'm a bit scared and I'm wondering if I should get another doctor because it's very complicated where I live to ask for that. I'm 22F non-pregnant no other health issues and I'm willing to send my numbers on the report if it can help.

- 2020/07/27

Hi Anna

It is important that you have an endoscopy (gastroscopy as well as a colonoscopy) to make sure that you are not losing blood somewhere in the digestive tract, for example by having a bleeding stomach ulcer, which can cause the anaemia. If your current doctor can organise these tests, then you do not have to ask for a second opinion. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.