Question
Posted by: Pulani | 2019/02/20

Allergic reactions

I recently had an anaphylactic reaction to Urizone for a UTI . I have used Urizone many times before and never had any reaction. I am also allergic to Penicillin and Quinelones as well as fish and shellfish. I would like to know what "ingredient" in Urizone could have caused this severe reaction . I am also a bit worried about using any kind of medication because I don't know whether I could suddenly react to it. Is this fear reasonable or am I being paranoid?

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2019/03/02

Urizone contains Fosfomycin, a single dose antibiotic to treat urinary infections. It's not a common allergy, but I see you are allergic to other antibiotics and as such are more likely to develop other antibiotic allergies as well. You may need to have a CAST test for antibiotic allergies to help guide future antibiotic treatments when needed.