Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2018/10/18

Alcoholic dad

My dad is 78 yrs and is an alcoholic. He was always abusive to my mum over the years, more verbal and emotional and to some extent physical. However, in the past couple years its become worst. My mum will not leave the house has I have a bro whose 48years old messed up his life with drugs, but does not take drugs or alcohol. Its like over 10years all he does is eat, sleep and watch tv, talks to no one. So for this reason mum will not leave the house. Mum's health is not too good. We don't know what to do with dad, he becomes aggressive and violent during drinking . Mum spoke to a Dr to give him tabs to stop the drinking and Dr said he cant coz of his age and his drinking. Rehab is too late. In your opinion is there really no medication that we can give him to stop the drinking. When he is sober he is very quiet...no hassles. Regards Sandy

- 2018/10/23

Hi Sandy
I do not think it is ever too late, but the problem is, one cant just give him tablets and leave him to his own devices, this wont work - the best would be for him to go to rehab, where there is supervision, or to do this with the guidance of a doctor. There are doctors (psychiatrists and GP's) who specialize in alcohol addiction and the treatment and I think you should try and take him to one of these doctors. One will also have to consider the safety of your mother. This must be terrible for you to witness. Please try and find a doctor who specializes in alcohol addiction, because there is help available. Good luck.