Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2018/01/16

Advice needed

What is the true right diet to follow. A lot of people are talking about the banting diet and my friend lost a lot of weight banting and she is staying trim but I have heard that it is not so good for you. Then why is she staying slim and I am gaining all the time eating no fat.? Should I be going on the Banting diet?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/01/17

Good day Bongi 

Thank you for your question. The right diet to follow is the one that would be suitable to your nutritional needs, lifestyle,  nutritional goals, and so on.  Consulting with a dietitian can help you establish what would be suitable for you. Moreover, it must be mentioned that Banting  is one of the fad diets out there, following it might help one lose weight. However, fad diets do not fit into lifestyle and are not sustainable over a long period. Also following a fad diet does not help you change your behavior around food and  that can be done by a dietitian. Moderation and variety are the two key words in sustainability. For a dietitian close to you visit www.adsa.org.za.