Question
Posted by: RDK | 2004/11/29

9w2d Pregnant - Bright orange urine & gall

Hi All
Because of the extreme morning sickness I have had these past few weeks I havent been able to take much water in. Water didnt stay down and I would bring it up as soon as I took a sip. So, I had to drink flat coke and black tea most of the time. I am much better than I was a week ago, and I think things are a bit more settled due to my limited diet which consists mostly of dry toast, biscuits and bananas. When I am brave enough to drink water (which isnt very often) I have to drink it ice cold. My urine, as a result has become bright orange. I dont have an infection or anything as there is no irritation or burning when I wee. Before pregnancy I loved water and would drink it right through the day. Also when I do throw up, lately it mostly consists of yellow gall and at the same time I lose control of my bladder. How do I combat this?

The good news is that the morning sicknes is likely to settle soon. If your stomach is empty, you will vomit bitter fluid. The incontinence during vomiting is the result of the increased abdominal pressure. It would be important to enure that you take in enough fluids. If necessary, you can ask your doctor to prescribe medication for the vomiting.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/30

I have been where you are. I threw up so much that I lost weight in the first trimester.

I found that after about a week of gall, I started throwing up properly (and anything that went down came up).

I found that what helped incredibly was ginger. Drink the stoney's ginger ale - either flat or fizzy. It is full of sugar though. Or, grate ginger into a tea cup, pour boiling water over it and drink it as ginger "tea". Ginger biscuits also help, but are also full of sugar.

Nibble constantly on dry toast, provita's and bananas (If I ever smell another banana, I think I'll throw up from association).

Taking essentiale (the hangover stuff) helps as well. (its just B vitamins).

I also sucked on lollipops (the red ones) all day, but they are also teeth rotting and fattening.

Ask your doctor for Asic of vomifene.

The Asic knocked me out totally. I slept for almost 24 hours solidly after taking one pill. My gynae said it was a bit of an odd reaction. It took away the nausea though.

I changed to vomifene, which lessens the nausea slightly (enough so that you feel better), but you have to take it as your eyes open in the morning before the nausea hits.

Keep water, vomifene, ginger ale and provita's or dry toast next to your bed to snack on while your eyes are trying to open in the morning.

My toothpaste set me off as well. I changed to a gel toothpaste which made a slight difference.

My husband smoked o utside our kitchen and the fumes seeped in, and this set me off worse than ever. He used to sneak one in the house after I left for work, and every evening when I got home I threw up for over an hour from the smell. (and I used to be a smoker before my pregnancy)

Don't worry, it will all be over by about 14 weeks. (most people say you get it from weeks 6 to 10 - well, I did, then it dissipated for about 3 days, and then came back worse than ever till 14 weeks, when I woke up one morning and it was just gone). It sounds a long time while you're going through it, but it really is a small (and the worst) part of the whole pregnancy - even giving birth is better than the vomiting.

Thinking of you!!!

Reply to Purple