Question
Posted by: Mickey | 2008/01/23

9-year Old Consentration Problem

Dear Doc, How can I help my daughter (9) with her schoolwork!? I get impatience with her when I have explained something and after the sixth effort she will just stare at me as if she hasn’t heard a word I said. By that time I usually looses my temper and will start yelling, which I know is also not right. She is in Gr 3 at the moment but she battles to spell or read easy words like cat/dog which she learned in Gr 1. Am I just paranoid or must we try and do the homework earlier? We will start with her homework at 19:00. Please help, I want to enjoy the homework time with her and make it fun, how I can motivate her that homework is good!?

Well, I'm sure you're a really good mom, but presumably you're not a trained teacher. It may well be that lack of motivation is not the problem here. Shouldn't you start by arranging a meeting with her teacher to discuss all this in detail. It sounds as though she may not have been adequately prepared in school for the level of work she is facing at this time. She may need a better assessment of her abilities and preparedness, and perhaps some extra coaching. If she is having basic problems with spelling and reading, this would make any other work which relies on those skills, very much more difficult for her

2
Posted by: Phil | 2008/01/23

Take her for assesments. My son has the same problem, we tried the natural stuff like IQ and Biostraph to help with consentration - didn't help. Then we tried a small dose of Ritalin, diffirent child. He writes much nicer, comes home from school happier because he doesn 't get scolded so much. And his overall school performance improved drastically. Bare in mind, he only battles with concetration, and isn't hyper active. I was against Ritalin, tried everything else. But I must admit that it really works for him.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: another mom | 2008/01/23

It is possible that she is dyslexic. But don't get all worried if that is the case. Many talented people are also dyslexic. Think of Tom Cruise for instance. Children who are dyslexic have the problem with reading and writing. I think they tend to leave vowels out in their way of writing. Do look it up and ask your doctor about this.

Reply to another mom