Question
Posted by: nobbysbev | 2007/12/27

9 wk Boerboel eating stones/diarrhoea

We got our Boerboel pup at 7 weeks, and for the last two weeks he has had diarrhoea. We've taken him to the vet so many times, and he had his stool analysed, and the vet told us that there were no worms in the stool, but the diarrhoea is from the pup eating stones??? Since then ( last week ) we have been checking every stool he passes ( gross - I know....) for stones, and even though we have fenced him off in a totally grassed area and covered up the sandy spots with old roof-tiles, he is still having stones in his stools. The vet has put him on Purbac tablets as well - and these seem to have helped a bit : at least there is no more blood in the stools.
We are getting desperate to stop the puppy having this diarrhoea : any advice anyone??

What food is he eating and how much?

2
Posted by: confused | 2008/02/04

i bought a jackrussel puppy at a welfare organisation and the litter became extremely ill after been dewormed with mildomax. but luckily the pup that i booked was'nt ill yet the vet put the hole litter on purbac paediatric suspension and i was to give 1ml in the morning and 1ml in the evening. but the pup was'nt relieving himself or wanting to eat or drink so i took him off the medication and he is much purkier. but the organisation did their nut when i told them what i had done and they said i was doing more harm then good. but my problem is that my dermotoligist prescribed purbac for my skin and im having trouble understanding how a pup can be using human medication.

Reply to confused
Posted by: nobbysbev | 2008/01/02

When I originally sent this, he was eating only home-cooked chicken-and-rice. We tried to give him some Vets Choice Large Breed Puppy mixed in, but his belly became very bloated, so we stopped that.
Then I bought some Pedigree puppy, and started giving that to him in increasing percentages with decreasing percentages of the chicken and rice : and so far, so good. He doesn't seem to be eating the stones any more, and the diarrhoa is becoming better - although the morning stools are a bit loose, on the whole the stools look normal, and the pup is happy and growing at a phenomenal rate!!
Amounts : he is currently getting 50g of the pedigree puppy and about 75g of chicken and rice 4 times a day. He loves his food and licks the bowl clean each time! - and his belly seems normal.

When I went to buy the Pedigree puppy food : I noticed that the Large Breed Puppy has the recommended starting age of 3 months : should I be moving towards using that one, or should I stay with the normal Pedigree puppy? My husband also wants him to use the Vets Choice - our other dog ( a female GSD ) has been eating that all her life. I'm scared of using the Vts Choice now because of how it seemed to bloat him up, but that could have been because he's too young??

Bev

Bev

Reply to nobbysbev