Question
Posted by: Lana | 2007/06/19

9 Month old kitten

Hi there all,

I would like to know what is the average age for cats to go on heat?

I have a 9 month old beautifull kitten and she has not gone on heat yet.... Is there something wrong with her?

Kittens can have their first season as early as 3 months. However since your kitten has developed during the time of year when day length has been decreasing her body clock will prevent her going into season until spring. Now is probably a good time to have her neutered unless she is a pure bred intended for breeding.

3
Posted by: Lana | 2007/06/20

Hi all,

Thank you.
Luckely she is a house baby so i do not have the risk of cars etc....
I do have a male cat aswell but he is sterilised a long time ago he is now 3 going on 4.

I did not nitice any strange behavior among him nor any strange faces haning around.
Could it be posible that she went on heat and i did not even notice it? but i doubt that.
I am planning to get her sterilised i just wanted to find out about her woman things....

Reply to Lana
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/06/20

I agree with Carol. I rescued a female kitten on Monday and now has a person that will look after her. I also warned her that at six months, she needs to be spayed. My first tenant's one kitten had kittens she was 10 months old when she had her kittens. Four precious kittens, whether they found a home I don't know because the tenant moved out before they were even two weeks old.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/20

Cats often dont come into season during the winter months .. however when she does you will have every tom cat in the neighbourhood hanging around , she will be at risk for getting hit by a car , and she will be pregnant and finding homes for the kittens will be difficult , and because she is so young there could be complications.

So this is the perfect time to have her spayed before you sit with all the abovementioned complications.

A lot of us here rescue and the reason we rescue is because people allow their cats/dogs to breed .

Reply to Carol