Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2007/04/12

850 METFORMINE 3 TIMES

I've been married for 10 years and I've been seriously trying to get pregnant for the past 9 years now. 4 Years back I was told that I have PCOS and I've been on Metformine since until now. I went through 3 unsuccessful AI in 2005 and early 2006, then I decided to take a break for at least a year, I was about to start again with the process next month then I discovered yesterday that I am 4 weeks pregnant, I took the home pregnancy test and it was positive, then I went to the Hospital, they did blood test it came back positive, I also did a sonar. I have three problems that I need you to help me with since my Gynaecologist is fully booked until Mid May. I need to know if I can continue taking the Metformine and until when. Secondly the sonar couldn’t detect anything, only my ovaries where swollen and I was told it was because I am only 4 weeks pregnant, how true is that. Lastly my lower back & knees are painful and I am just worried that the embryo might be on my tubes, or maybe the pains are caused by the fact that it is late for me to have my first baby. I am 30 years old. Doc I will appreciate your advice, the Doc also gave me the prescription for Folic Acid yesterday.

You can continue with the metformin till you see your doctor. He/she will then check your sugar levels and see if it is necessary to continue. Pregnancy is only seen on scan from 5-6 weeks. An ectopic pregnancy would not give you back pain. This is more likely from the hormonal chnages of pregnancy.