Question
Posted by: tbt | 2006/11/07

8 months baby teething

I have a baby-girl who is teething, she doesn't like milk that much. Iam afraid she won't have enough calcium to have strong bones. what other supplements can i give her?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear tbt
Try other dairy products like yoghurt etc. and also flavoured milks. Children between the ages of 1 and 3 years need 500 mg calcium per day (+/- 1 cup of yoghurt and one cup of milk). If this does not help and she takes in no calcium in the diet, supplementation is probably the bestoption. Your pharmacist would be able to assist you in choice of supplement.

3
Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2006/12/01

Dear Linda
I think he's getting enough calcium as you are not only breastfeeding him. You can start worrying about the calcium intake when you stop breastfeeding- remember that you need about 1500mg of calcium per day while breastfeeding

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: LINDA | 2006/11/13

Hi my Baby is 13 months old. I am still breastfeeding him.
I would just like to know is that enough calcium for him.
He also loves yogurt

Reply to LINDA
Posted by: Healthy Bones expert | 2006/11/09

Sorry- did not see baby's age- she needs +/- 270 mg calcium per day.

Reply to Healthy Bones expert