Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2007/12/04

70% cocoa chocolate

I love chocolate but its not good for my curves, is the 70% cocoa chocolate from woolworths right for someone who wants to lose weight? how does it differ from others. i hear it has too much fat and less sugar????

Dear Jenny
The new brands of chocolate that contain up to 70% cacao are healthier than the other varieties because of their high cacao content (a rich source of antioxidants which help to protect us against all kinds of degenerative diseases) and the fact that a large percentage of the fat in this type of chocolate which is derived from cacao is monounsaturated (compared to milk chocs that have a relatively high saturated fat content derived from the full cream milk they are made of). If you can limit yourself to one or two squares (5 -10g) of 70% cacao chocolate per day then this should not cause a problem weight-wise, but be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that because these chocolates are healthier, you can eat unlimited amounts without gaining weight.
Enjoy