Question
Posted by: Cocoa | 2007/04/10

70% cocoa chocolate

Missed being able to question you doc. Hope you had a good rest.

I absolutely love 70% -85% cocoa chocolate, it's the only chocolate I purchase lately. I can see that it's still very high in fat even though it's 70% cocoa (40g fat per 100g). What I would like to know is how many grams am I allowed to eat per day. I do gym 4-5 times a week for 1:20 minutes, and my polar watch says I burn 500 -600 calories every morning (but I think it's less. I do eat fairly healthy but need to lose 2kg of fat to compete in a fitness competition. Should I stick to once a week, and if so, how much can I have without it messing up my weight loss? Also, what are the health benefits of eating a little 70% chocolate per day, and is there a "best" brand? Thanks doc.

Dear Cocoa
Thank you, I had a good rest and enjoyed the Easter break - hope you did too. The new brands of chocolate that contain up to 70% cacao are healthier than the other varieties because of their high cacao content (a rich source of antioxidants which help to protect us against all kinds of degenerative diseases) and the fact that a large percentage of the fat in this type of chocolate which is derived from cacao is monounsaturated (compared to milk chocs that have a relatively high saturated fat content derived from the full cream milk they are made of). If you can limit yourself to one square (5g) of 70% cacao chocolate per day then this should not sink your diet. However, the snag is that people are prone to start with 1 square and after a few days eat 2 squares, etc, until they hamper their dieting attempts. So if you can be strict and only have 1 square a day, then there should be no harm in doing so. I don't think there is a specific 'best brand' - all the high cacao chocs are good products from the antioxidant point of view.
Enjoy and good luck with the fitness competition.