Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2005/01/06

7 weeks preg

Hello

Yesterday I went for my first gynae appointment after finding out that I am pregnant (about a week ago).
The doctor said i am 7w2d.. and there is no heart beat so have to abort, so am very dissapointed, but if it is so, it is...
However as I was reading through the forum i read (posted by Tilli 6/1/2005) that a heartbeat can be dedected at 8wks?
Is this true, should I get a second opinion at another Gynae ? Otherwise I have to start the temination tomorrow.. should i wait a few more days?

Tx

If you had a vaginal scan, the heartbeat should have been seen by 7 weeks. There would be other signs of a non-viable pregnancy, such as a large irregular sac, which your doctor may not have told you abaout. If you are uncertain, there would be no harm in waiting a week and having a re-scan.

6
Posted by: Nix | 2005/01/06

Sorry to hear about your situation Nadia. We saw a heartbeat at exactly 6 weeks, but I know it is often later. I also suggest you have your HCG checked (you can have a blood test today and then another 48 hours later). If the numbers are high and steadily increasing, your baby is fine.

My heart really goes out to you and I hope and pray everything is ok.
Nix

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/01/06

I was in the same boat as you in November, however my gynae did two quantitive pregnancy tests, my HCG levels fell instead of rose and this was only suggested after my 8 week appointment, I had a scan week 7 and the doctor was happy about my progress, the little sack was growing as it should,

Rather go for a second opinion, my pregnancy symptoms got less and less,

If the second doctor says the same and there is still no heartbeat at week 8 then you can think about termination

I really hope that you find the answer you are looking for

Jessica

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: Renira | 2005/01/06

Hi Nadia,

The babies heartbeat generally can be heard from 8 weeks onwards. I think that there is a possibility that your baby may be ok. I agree with Kippie, go for some tests and be absolutely sure before you take any action.

If you are 7 weeks and 2 days preggies, then your last period would have started exactly 7 weeks and 2 days ago. Is this correct? Maybe there is an error there.

Good luck and I hope that everything turns out as u planned.

Renira

Reply to Renira
Posted by: twink | 2005/01/06

I also think you must be tested before you abort - don't just take the gynae's advise - be 100 percent sure- it will give you peace of mind- otherwise you might be wondering for the rest of your life if you have done the right thing!

I will hold thumbs for you - good luck!

Reply to twink
Posted by: nini | 2005/01/06

I fully agree with kippie, It would be best to do a blood test for two or three days before taking drastic steps

Reply to nini
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/06

Nadia
Firstly, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I do not want to give you false hope but maybe you should ask your doctor to do a blood test. I went for my first appointment just over 6 weeks and there was no heart beat and we did this test to confirm that the pregnancy is healthy and growing, at my next appointment at 8 weeks we could see the heartbeat and my son is now a lively and healthy 7 month old!
They do the bloodtest exactly 48 hours apart to see if the count has increased substantially. If the count has dropped, the pregnancy is no longer existing.
Rather phone your doc now to ask to do the test before taking drastic steps.
All the best and let us know what the outcome is!

Reply to Kippie