Question
Posted by: Arden | 2007/06/18

7 weeks but baby scan shows 5 weeks

I visited my gynae last week I was supposed to be 7 weeks but the scan revealed that I am 5 weeks. I had my last period 22/04/07 I was on fertility treament and I am a diabetic,will have a follow up visit in a week. My gynae says that the baby is developing to slow and that there may be some deformaties with baby. Baby is only 9.4mm, Please help

One possibility is that your period dates are incorrect and that you ovulated and conceived later than expected.
If the growth really is behind by two weeks, it may mean that the pregnancy will not continue. It is very important to have tight control of the diabetes in early pregnancy so see that this is managed by your doctor. Fasting sugars should be less than 5.5 and 2 hrs after meal sugars should be less than 6.7.

1
Posted by: Pepples | 2007/06/18

Hi Arden,

don't stress about it too much just now. Wait until next week. I fell pregnant at the beginning of the year and at my first scan it showed that baby was 12 days smaller than he was suppose to be. My gynie told my husband that the was not very optimistic about he pregnancy. I was devistated (after I had a termination and a m/c last year).

At my next visit baby was suddenly only 4 days "behind" schedule. Now I am 22w pregnant and went for my 22w check scan last week. All is fine and normal and baby is doing very well.

I know it is very hard to sit and wait for your next scan but keep hope, these little ones sometimes surprise us. Keep the faith and believe that God will give you your hearts desires (in His own good time!)

Hope all goes well and let us know how it goes at the next scan!!

Reply to Pepples