Question
Posted by: Sai | 2004/11/04

7 week Old Lab Puppy with Diarrhoea <br>

I have very recently added a lab puppy to my family. I have him on a diet of ProPac Performance Puppy and am about to start weening him over to Large Breed Puppy. Except that he has a DREADFUL case of diarrhoea. Now I understand that as a puppy, this happens but the poor little guy is miserable. His nose is warm and dry, he won't eat at all (unless its the cats' wet food - Whiska's Singles!). Please help! Is there anything natural I can give him to settle and bins his tummy? Falibng which, is there any medicaiton I can give him?

I'm sure that by this time the problem would have resolved. Normally I just recommend changing to a pure meat diet (like chicken only) for a few days until the diarrhoea subsides. I do not add rice, as carbohydrates may exacerbate diarrhoea. Once the stools are back to normal, slowly start adding the regular diet again. Obviously, if the diarrhoea continues and get worse and the puppy loses its appetite, it needs veterinary help. I definitely do not recommend using anything like yoghurt or similar preparations, as it typically just causes more of an upset tummy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

7
Posted by: Davina | 2004/11/06

Hi Sai,

I would add a little plain, live cultured yoghurt, to help his intestinal flora, especially if he is on antibiotics.

Best of luck

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/05

Glad you took him to the vet!

A bit of stock to make the food palatable is fine, but do please remember not to make it too strong - nobody, including dogs, should have too much salt, and a pup's so tiny that that means he should get only a VERY little bit. So, if you're going to use a stock powder, thin it down til it's weaker than if you were going to eat it yourself.

Just to give you an idea: a human baby from 0-6 months should not consume more than ONE gram of salt a day. One teaspoon is 5 grams. A baby weighs a LOT more than a 7-week-old pup, so you can figure it out from there....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/05

I don't see Mielie Meal being nutritious either. No wonder his stomach is upset! Pouring a little stock over the food he's getting now (after his tummy has settled) should entice him to eat it. You can always reduce the amount and then leave it off later. If he'd rather die than eat the current brand, there are many good brands of puppy food.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Sai | 2004/11/05

Hey All,

Thanks for your replies. I took him off to the vet when I got home last night. He got meds to bind his tummy and antibiotics too! My man is very anti feeding him on anything other than ProPac Puppy at the moment, although the puppy doesn't seem to be into that. Other than the chicken and rice recipe, any one got other suggesstions? I thought maybe some chicken stock or beef stock poured over his ProPac would be good. He was eating Mielie Meal before we got him. I can't see how that is nutritious enough though!

Reply to Sai
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/04

Did you find out what the pup had been eating before you got him? It's always a good idea to maintain his dietary routine as far as possible for at least a while, until he settles down.

I'd agree with Acineth re getting him some professional attention - as with human babies, it doesn't take very long for diarrhoea to escalate into quite a serious situation.

Once he's over this, get a bottle of 'Behoedmiddel' - you'll find it in the Dutch Remedies section in the supermarket or Clicks. It's very gentle, can do no harm, and will settle MILD little tummy upsets in a puppy. And they quite like it, too.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/04

I'd say take him to the vet before he dehydrates. Once that happens it will be very expensive if he has to go on a drip. They'll more than likely give him enteritis mixture and put him on a boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days.

Has he been dewormed?

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/04

Reply to Acineth