Question
Posted by: Pee Problem | 2004/12/03

7 month old male Scotty peeing everywhere except outside!

We have 2 Scottish terriers, brother & sister, 7 months old. The male continues to wee in the house, on the kitchen floor, in his basket!!!! The dogs are outside the whole day, but as soon as he enters the house, he wees!!! When someone comes to visit, he wees right in front of them. I don't know what the problem is, please help!!

In distress

Hi "Pee Problem"
First of all I suggest that you have him checked by your vet in case there's a medical problem. If that's all ok, then it sounds like your male dog is doing one or all of these things: Puppies often urinate when they greet older dogs or humans that they consider senior, so weeing in front of visitors is probably a sign of respect. He will grow out of this and I suggest you don't reprimand him or punish him at all for this. Make a point of greeting him or introducing him to visitors outside, so the weeing doesn't matter. Weeing as soon as he gets inside may be the same thing (to greet you) or could be caused by a general feeling of insecurity outside, so he saves it for a safe place - inside. Young pups will not urinate or defaecate too far away from the "den" at first and perhaps he just has to do a bit of growing up. Take him out for daily walks outside your property and allow him to sniff and greet other friendly dogs and their "markings". He may be confused because of your reactions to him weeing, so be patient and consistent in ignoring all the unacceptable behaviour and praising and rewarding all the good behaviour. When you are at home take him outside as often as possible and play with him or just amble around the yard. As soon as he does his thing outside say "good boy!" in a light friendly tone and perhaps give him a piece of biltong or play a game with his favourite toy. When he makes mistakes ignore it completely and clean up when he isn't looking.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Pi | 2004/12/07

Apart from bladder problems he might be suffering with a bit of dominance problems. He's at the age of becoming a little man and needs to establish his dominance. My first min pin had the same problems, it was unbearable, the weeing in the house. He even peed on my bed, on the pillows. Only now, 3 min pins later have I learnt about us human treating small dogs wrong and giving them unnecessary power which they can't handle. If you have the time and money to spend, see an animal behaviourist. That is, if you have established that he doesn't have a medical problem.

Hope it helps!

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Carol | 2004/12/04

Sounds like he could have a bladder problem have him checked out for that , also submissive piddling is something to look at ... have his bladder checked first .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/12/03

Possibly it was incorrect toilet training and the dog is confused about what to do. Do a search on toilet training, and I'm sure you'll find this advice has been given before. The important thing is not to shout or rub his nose in it.

Reply to Acineth