Question
Posted by: Ethan | 2007/06/16

69 year old lady with itchi throat

My mom is a 69 year old lady, who has been struggling for the past 8 years with a cough, caused by an itchy throat on the left hand side and now moving to the right side of her throat.
She has been to many ENT specialists all of them have different opinions and different medications they prescribe, none of them helping my mother.
Depression is starting to hit her now.
What could be the cause of this. She still has her tonsils, could that be the problem, even though the doctors say that is not the problem.

Dear Ethan
No I don't think it is her tonsils. Is she taking an antihypertensive medication? Some of them causes a chronic cough. Some people with an allergic asthma also presents with a chronic cough. One can also get irritation of the delicate throat tissue when you have acid reflux. She may need to see a pulmonologist/physician just to exclude other reasons for coughing too.

1
Posted by: Moira | 2007/06/17

My goodness, this could have been written about me. I am 56 and can sympathise with your mom. I have almost the same problem and also have been to 3 ENT over the years who prescribe nothing more than throat sprays etc. Also had chest xrays. Is it worse if she eats anything like toast, biscuits or anyhting that can scratch the throat and cause the cough. My family don't even worry anymore when I cough. They just say Oh it's just her cough again. I too am at the end of my tether as I have tried EVERYTHING. So what do you say Doc, do I see a pulmonologist as well? I am on Ziak but this cough started long b4 I went onto this medication.

Reply to Moira