Question
Posted by: MIMI | 2004/02/18

6.1 CHOLESTEROL, 14 IRON

Hi doc

I have been taking iron (Food State and Ferous Forte) supplements for the last year now. I had blood test done and they say my iron is 14 which is very low. I don't know what else to do if taking supplements don't work. What should I take. I also have cholesterol of 6.1. I have been eating allot of cheese the last two weeks which is something I never do. Could this cause high cholesterol and how long will it take to drop this reading if I go on a low fat or even fat free diet? I usually dont eat like this but the last two weeks I have been craving cheese. Could there be a reason for this?

Dear Mimi
Did you discuss this low iron level with your dr? It may be necessary to do some tests to determine why your iron levels are so low and to use treatments like iron injections to boost your iron reserves, so do talk to him/her. Foods that are rich in iron include: liver, red meat, poultry, fish, egg yolk, dried fruit and iron-fortified cereals. I would first try to get the iron deficiency sorted out before you go on a fat-free or low-fat diet. If this should be necessary then click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which you can use as an example. If you don't need to lose any weight, then you may use larger portions of the permitted foods. Your craving for cheese could be an indication of a mineral or even a protein deficiency. It may be a good idea to have your calcium and magnesium levels checked. If they should be low, then take a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz and a magnesium supplement like Magnesite for 2-3 months.