Question
Posted by: Rita | 2005/11/29

6 year old with headaches

HI doc, my 6 year old usually complains of headaches once ive picked him up from creche. Im thinking that its because of the heat and him playing in the sun, as he only complains in the summer ive noticed. Do u think I should worry and take him for a check up regarding this? Once he complained of a headache and then also vomited which makes me think he might suffer of megraines which I do as well??
Thank you.
Rita

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Rita,

If you have not yet had your son checked by a neurologist, then that is the first thing you should do. It is important to do so to rule out any underlying condition that could be treated – although it is uncommon to find anything serious, it remains a necessary first step. A clean bill of health will also do a lot to allay your concerns.

Children do in fact frequently get headaches and migraines. This is especially true of those whose parents are sufferers, as there is definitely a genetic component.

The heat may well be a trigger, but remember that it is only a trigger – there is some underlying problem that is being triggered off by the heat. If this were not so, then all children would get headaches from heat.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation is combined and integrated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.