Question
Posted by: RDK | 2004/11/04

5WKS 4 DAYS AT WHICH STAGE CAN THE HEARTBEAT BE DETECTED?

Hi Everyone
Went to the gynae yesterday fully expecting to see a heartbeat on the scan cos I was under the impression that I am at least 6 weeks. The scan however showed 5wks4dys and the doctor said it's still a bit too early. I've read though that the heartbeat starts as early as the 3-4th week. He said everything else looks fine, the embryo was there and inside were 2 forms, one he identified as the "pregnancy" and the other which feeds it. He's happy about that cos it shows that there is life he says. I must go back in 2wks though. I'm just a bit disappointed and now I'm scared stiff that something might be wrong. Anyone been in a similar situation that can set my mind at ease?
Thanks!

The fetal heart is usually seen on ultrasound from 6 weeks.

6
Posted by: Flame | 2004/11/04

Hi i went to my dr at 6w4d and we could hear the heart beat then allready, he has this masjine that makes it able to hear it that early.... me and my husband cried when we heard it and we watched the videa about 800000times still do. Am 22w 2morrow...enjoy it time goes past so quikly!!!

Reply to Flame
Posted by: RDK | 2004/11/04

Thanks Kippie
I've been told that the moment you see that heartbeat it's real visible proof that there's life inside of you and that is when the real bonding starts. So I've decided not to start worrying about what may or may not be and look forward in anticipation to the 17th. After all all this worrying cant be good for the little one. Lotsa Luv

Reply to RDK
Posted by: RDK | 2004/11/04

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate it and I must say I am a bit relieved. This will make the next 2 weeks till I have to go for my 2nd one much easier to bear.
I was so worried I searched on the internet and found a site that takes you through all the different stages of pregnancy and foetul development. There it showed real scans and everything and I it was a relief to learn that you can expect to see a heartbeat from 6.2wks, so I've got a few days to go still.
Phew! Thanks again

Reply to RDK
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/04

Do I know how you feel!!!!!!!!!
I went to the gynae at 5 weeks and there was no heartbeat - I was worried sick and my gynae at that time was not very symapthetic. She did however, at my insistance, send me for a blood test to see if the rating multiplied - that way they can see if the pregnancy is progressing. The blood tests are done EXACTLY 48 hours apart. It was the longest 2 days I had to wait and the pregnancy turned out fine!!
At my next appointment at 8 weeks there was a strong heartbeat and I delivered a strong big boy 5 months ago.
So how ever cruel it may be to wait this next 2 weeks, you need to go through that to see the most amazing thing at your next appointment - that little dot jumping up and down!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: elize | 2004/11/04

i went to the gynae when i was 8 weeks then i could see the heart beat so i think it's still early. Have faith everything will be okay.

Reply to elize
Posted by: Francis | 2004/11/04

The heartbeat only starts beating at 6 - 7 weeks. Bets to go at 8 weeks to make sure everything is ok. If the doc is happy then you should relax and drink your folic acid.

I know you are worried and believe me throughout your pregnancy you always going to have worries. Start relaxing now and enjoy every moment. Every-single minute the baby is growing inside you so enjoy.

Happy thoughts

Reply to Francis