Question
Posted by: sherryl elkin | 2019/07/22

55 year old woman and I cant shed the extra 15kg no matter what I do

I am a 55 year old woman and I eat a fair amount of fresh raw vegetables mostly green veggies and fresh uncooked , little fruit because of high sugar content, I have cut out the following as my weight seems to just go up not come down so now I have no meat ,no sugar, no salt, I don't do dairy at all and now wheat products, for some strange reason I am still super constipated and can not seem to shed the extra 15kg I am carrying. I drink my coffee one cup a day only filter no milk no sugar. I am taking laxatives twice weekly drinking a fair amount of water eight glass just to much more or less 3 to five glasses a day. Now and again I become a little frustrated and will have a small cheat maybe low fat Ice cream or a small cup of yogurt however I pretty much try not to cheat. Saturdays and Sundays one Cappuccino that will replace the coffee which I drink in the week. I run half marathons and walk a lot and would love to try a marathon again however I am just to much over weight and my body cannot handle it at all no matter what Please help this is a struggle I can no longer handle or understand? Sherryl

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/08/24

Hi Sherryl

Thank you very much for your question.

I am sorry that despite trying so hard you are struggling to shed the extra weight that is worrying you.  Given the nature of your question, it is difficult to provide you with accurate advice and guidance on this platform because there are so many possible reasons that could be contributing to your struggle to lose weight as well as to the constipation.

As far as diet goes, an appointment with a dietitian would be very useful as they would be able to carry out an assessment of your usual daily intake and discuss your diet with you in detail to find the reasons you are struggling.  They would then be able to provide you with individualised advice to assist you with losing weight while still ensuring that you are providing your body with adequate nourishment to optimise your sports performance as well as your overall health and energy levels. 

You may be cutting certain foods out of your diet unnecessarily which can lead to nutrient deficiencies.  It is also important to remember that even healthy foods can contribute to weight gain, or difficulty losing weight, for example nuts are a wonderful source of healthy fats but are significantly high in kilojoules.  People often think that protein does not interfere with weight loss but cutting out carbohydrates and replacing them with extra protein can result in an even higher kilojoule intake and so often does not solve the problem.

Blood tests would also be needed to assess possible medical reasons that could affect weight management such as thyroid function and insulin resistance.

You can go to the Association for Dietetics in SA website to find a Dietitian in your area  http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx