Question
Posted by: Tray | 2007/05/04

5 yr old dachshund & back pain

I have a 5 yr old dachshund (Lulu) who has just started with back pain. She was trembling, moaning slightly and wouldn't get out of bed. I took her to the vet - of course! She had an x-ray - she has some disc calcification on her upper spine. She was put on a course of anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants. I'm very relieved to say that the next morning she was 100% better! I am battling to try and keep her still.

I really need advice now as to what this means. Is it going to happen again, or is it over now? Should we take her for acupuncture now, or wait and see if it happens again? Are there any supplements I can give her?

I have another dachshund too - her sibling. Does this mean that Zoe will also have problems? I don't let them jump on furniture (at least try to stop them) and I am watching their weight. Is there anything else I can do? And can I take them on long walks when Lulu is better, or are shorter walks better?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Best wishes,
Tray

The problem is probably not resolved but could be managed by keeping weight low, short regulr walks, no climbing stairs or jumping onto off of furniture etc. The pain killers make them comfortable and then they act normal and it is at that stage that they can exacerbate the situation and then requie surgery. All Dachshunds are considered at risk of disc disease. Acupuncture can help to strengthen the muscles as will hydrotherapy - controlled swimming.

3
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/05/07

Hi Tray
Yes I think daxies are the best.
Thanks for the website, I will have a look.
Cheers
Me

Reply to Natasha
Posted by: Tray | 2007/05/07

Hi Natasha
Thank you for your advice. Good to hear that your girl is recovering. It is so worrying isn't it? But I agree daxies are definitely worth it - they are wonderful little dogs.

I found a site on the web this morning = //bajaokla dot com/dachback/. It mentions how effective Vitamin C can be. Have a look - quite interesting.
Best wishes,
Tray

Reply to Tray
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/05/07

Hi Tray
I have 3 daxies. One had a back operation on the 1st February. She went totally lame from her "waist" down due to disc problems. She was incredibly overweight, and her vet wanted to put her down (she belonged to my mother-in-law). It was a very sad sight. I decided to take her for a second opinion, and she ended up having the op. I took a lot of therapy and patience, but she is now walking again (but with a limp). All the people I have met along the way of her recovery have stressed the weight is very important in daxies. There is nothing that one can do to prevent disc problems, but keeping them in tip-top condition is vital especially in recovery.
But with all that, the daxies are deffinately worth it !!

Reply to Natasha