Question
Posted by: peanut | 2007/12/05

5 weeks pregnant and concerned!!!

My GP just confirmed that I was preganant and said that the HCG level (I think) indicates that I am about 4 or 5 weeks pregnant. My gynae said he only needs to see me at about 8 weeks. Is this OK? How will I survive until then?

Also, now I am very worried that something might go wrong. I've read about ectopic pregnancies - by when will you know that you have this problem?

Also, if the fetus dies, will it automatically abort, or is there a chance of you not knowing about it until the gynae does a scan?

I know it seems weird to be asking these type of questions, it's just that 4 January is a long time to wait to know if everything is ok!

It is fine to see your gynaecologist at 8 weeks. It would be too early to see anything on scan at this stage, and this will just confuse the picture if you go too early. Ectopic pregnancies present with pain, so you would know if you had one. It is possible for a fetus to die and not abort but, before the days of scans, you had to wait quite a while to find this out anyway.

2
Posted by: Marlize | 2007/12/05

Gongrats !!! YOu are now in for the best time of ur life ...

The gynie wanting to see you only at 8 weeks pregnant is normal , cause they can only detect a heartbeat at 8 weeks onwards they prefer to only see you at that time .

If you have an etopic pregnancy you will now it , you will have a sharp consistent pain on either of your sides where ur tubes are and sometimes its accompanied with bleeding.

My fetus died at 7 weeks and I when I saw the gynie at 9 weeks where he informed me that the fetus was no longer alive I still didnt start to bleed so he did a D & C two days later ! He asked me if I wanted to walk till I started bleeding by itself (I felt that he was totally insensitive about it) but I just wasnt up to it to walk with a dead baby inside me for any longer !

Feeling like you do is quite normal , I had exactly the same fears when I fell pregnant !!
Luckely after the miscarriage I fell pregnant again and Im 29 weeks pregnant already and expecting a boy in Feb 2008.

Take it easy , take ur vitamins(if you can stomach it) and enjoy every moment of this wonderful experience !!
All the best !!

Reply to Marlize
Posted by: MB1 | 2007/12/05

Hi Peanut
Relax girl. It's normal to feel this way! No the fetus doesn't always abort automatically if it dies. I walked around with a dead baby for 2 weeks before they confirmed my worst nightmare!
Relax please. Think of happy things imagine you holding your baby and nursing it. Just life for the moment. There is no gaurentees and there is no promises that everything will be ok. Just trust in your Creator and He will guide you through His plans for you.
Good luck and God Bless

Reply to MB1