Question
Posted by: Baby | 2004/01/20

5 month old problems

My baby is 5 months old and seems to be a bit constipated, what can i do or give her for this, when she does pass a stool it is very pasty and almost hard and very little only once a day. History: breastfed but takes infasoy during the day, started on solids at 4 months purity veg and fruit and rice cereal in the day, she seems to be trying to push but nothing comes out. I give her things like sweet potato, butternut, carrots, mealies for lunch and at 3pm bananas or apples (all purity)

She also has a weepy eye since birth, we did get a sterile ointment for the eye to use 2x for 4 days so we scared to keep using it as she is already 5 months and it has not cleared, we also got eye drops which we put in her nose but still it has not improved, what is the cause of this eye problem (only 1 eye ) sometimes it is difficult for her to open the eye in the morning, will it go away?

Lastly she had an ear infection at 4 and a half months and was given a 7 day course of antibiotics, a week later she seems to be tugging at her ear again could it be that it did not clear up and if so what do we do now? surely not more antibiotics - are they ok for such young babies? what can we do to avoid the ear infections? could they be related to her teething? she has been teething since 3 months but not teeth yet, itchy gums and lotsa drooling, when can we expect a tooth?

pls help with above quesies.

Baby, the safest thing to give her for the constipation would be something that just softens the stools like Duphalac® or Laxette®.
You will have to have a swab taken of the discharge that is coming from the eye. This will tell you whether it is due to an infection, irritation or something like a blocked tear duct.
It sounds like the ear infection hasn’t cleared up completely. The best would be to have your paediatrician take a look at that too. Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

1
Posted by: mom | 2004/01/21

For the constipation I can give you advise, my son at about 3 months was constantly constpated all you need to do is give them pure juice (baby juice) or make her bottle half with boiled water and the other half with juice. Sometimes if you give pure juice there tummies will run to much, try it and see what is the best for her.

Reply to mom