Posted by: sugar | 2008/09/03

how safe is it to take 5-HTP? What is the recommended dose and does it have any side effects? I have sugar/carbohydrate cravings and was told that this might help. i am 25 years old and don' t take any prescribed medications, will it really help with the cravings and do you know how long do i have to take it to see the results?

Dear 5-HTP
Research into the use of 5-HTP is still in the early stages and there is not yet enough sound scientific proof that it can be used safely. If you suffer from sugar/carbohydrate cravings I would recommend that you use a diet with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The glycaemic index' and read the articles on the GI. Sugar/carb cravings are either a learned habit or a sign that you are not eating sufficient healthy carbs or that you suffer from a blood sugar or insulin problem. The latter will be improved by eating a low-GI diet. Rather consult a clinical dietitian for assistance with the proper diet than to take a supplement that is not yet proven safe.