Posted by: Concerned mom | 2009/09/08

4 year old with headache

My daughter is 4 years old and she complains of headaches. When she has a headache she wants to wear a cap that warms her head covers her eyes as she says the light hurts her eyes. Please advice what to do.
Concerned mom

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Concerned Mom,

Children do in fact frequently get headaches and migraines. This is especially true of those whose parents are sufferers, as there is definitely a genetic component.

If your daughter has not yet had a proper medical assessment, then that is the first thing you should do. It is important to do so to rule out any underlying condition that could be treated – although it is uncommon to find anything serious, it remains a necessary first step. A clean bill of health will also do a lot to allay your concerns.

To deal with the headaches, the same approach must be adopted as for adults. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation is combined and integrated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck .

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.