Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2007/05/30

4 Year old cries over little things

My 4 year old girl is a happy and active little girl. She gets lots of love and attention from us. The problem is that she cries over little things and also cries easily. Say for instance one of her friends would say: My mommy is going to make me a peanut butter sandwich this afternoon. Then my little one will start crying and say: I also want a peanut butter sandwich. I think it is an attention seeking thing. I had a baby in December and was at home for maternity leave and had to go back to work beginning of May. The teacher at her school says that she is now much more emotional than usual. We are forever explaining to her that she must ask what she wants or tell us what the problem is, because we do not understand crying, but it doesn't help really. She still rather cries than speaks her mind. It is not that she throws tantrums, she just cries over silly things. Is she just more emotional in personality or is it something that we do wrong?

Is this her personality style ? In other words has she generalyl been like this for some time, or is this a very recent change in her ? From your description, it sounds as though it is indeed attention-seeking and related to her increasing experience of and perhaps a touch of rivalry with, other klids. And of course when you then reveal that you had a new baby quite recently, well, she now feels she has a rival at home --- and the older child ofen regresses and behaves more childishly, wanting the attention she sees as going elsewhere. It ofen helps to start emphasizing how big and clever and capable she is and to enrol her in aspects of caring forr the new baby, praising her for being so good at helping to care for the litle one who can't be as clever as she can. This is a normal reaction, and I really doubt that you did anything wrong.

1
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/30

yip, I think it is the baby and she is feeling left out (even though it is not the case) and she does not have mommy all to herself anymore.

Get dad to babysit and start doing things just between the two of you once or twice a month, like going for a milkshake, painting each other's nails and so on

Reply to RMC