Question
Posted by: muffin | 2008/01/24

4 year old

my daughter started pre-school last year at age 3 yrs, 3 months. She was a nightmare at first, cried for 2 weeks, then loved it. She has made lots of friends and seems to be popular. And yet she can still be so insecure. At her christmas concert, she started crying before it even began. And now that school has started again, she was a few days late to start, but on Tuesday and Weds went in happy, no problem (same friends as last year) but this morning it was screaming and clinging to her daddy again like a limpet. Why?? She has been on holiday for a month, the first 2 weeks all of us together and the last 2 weeks with my husband and his family and my little boy (I came back to work). Her school report says she is mostly a happy child but still insecure at times. Why is this, she gets loads of love and attention at home, is this just who she is? Will she grow out of it?

Try posting this question also on the parenting forum, as I'm sure other moms with similar experiences will be able to help and reassure you. I expect she will indeed grow out of these ionsecurities. After a longish break with lots of company from you all, its understandable that she has occasional fusses about returning to school, but, having loved it before, she's likely to resume that attitude.