Question
Posted by: Anne | 2019/02/17

4 weeks coughing worse pain in ribs

Now it's 4 weeks of coughing, though it has decreased quite a bit. However the pain on the right side of lower ribs is worse. Looking at your 7 ways, I don't think ribs are cracked, especially not in the area you show. On the diaphragmatic rupture--where would the pain be located? Mine is on right side of rib cage on bottom rib but spreading below over the gall bladder, and reaching to the side. As it only hurts when I move or cough, I don't think it is the gall bladder. VERY painful to stand up or to cough, a little painful to walk or jostle. As the cold/cough is getting better should I just wait it out or should it be checked out? 70 year old woman in otherwise good health.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/02/21

It could certainly be rib fracture of or a torn intercostal muscle.  Both these are very painful.  You should get a chest x-ray and medical help.