Question
Posted by: HM | 2004/11/03

3yr old - constipation Cyber Doc, please see if you can help

Hi Cyber doc,

You have given me great advice, now I need you take on this one
also I know it's probably not your forte, but try and find out for me.

My son is 3 , He tasted his first sweet on his 1st birthday party, and if he wanted coke, I'd give him tab instead and pretend it was coke. I am very particular in my mothering skills so I 've always tried to maintain a healthy eating regime at home, his dad's also into healthy eating and between the both of us we encourage the eating of fruit and vege's.

Anyway, he has a constipation problem, and I've taken him to a gastroenterologist (excuse the spelling) and he recommended
Lenolax enema's 1 every morning for 3 months, that was last year,
he also commented that he is just lazy to press, so do you think it's laziness, and if so what can I do to make him know the importance of going .
The specialist also said that he could have a disease that starts with an H, i can't remember , but it's when a certain part of the rectum have dead cells, and all they do is cut it out, and he'll be fine. Should I take him back or wait till he's older.
I have to bribe him with all sorts of things
do you think he'll grow out of it? And what year will that be?

p.s. I did do the enema's last year and it worked fine for a while
but I'm scared he'll get spoilt.

HM

HM, I think you’re referring to Hirschsprung’s disease. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
At 3 your boy is finally old enough to begin to understand that what he does today will affect him tomorrow. In other words, you can start punishing him if he doesn’t want to listen. In other words, no toilet - no dessert, sweets, TV, etc. You must also make sure he takes in enough fluids and ask the gastroenterologist if he objects to something like Duphalac®. Good luck.

2
Posted by: HM | 2004/11/04

You have given my husband & I new hope, as we were getting really worried. Since Last week Friday I have taken a box of Kellogs High Fibre Bran to the Daycare , and the daymom does exactly that she mixes it with his breakfast porridge, and at home starting this weekend I will mix all bran or high fibre bran inot his rice crispies or any of his cereals, but just to let you know last night we had a breakthrough his dad coaxed him into going , no tears , no laziness, and BOOM no problems, a normal bowl movement occured, (if you know what i mean) so let's hope it stays that way, back when I was a kid cutting out nerves were'nt an option either

thanks

HM & JM

Reply to HM
Posted by: CoolDevil | 2004/11/04

Dear HM
I went thro the same thing with my son, and was told the same thing by a specialist!! I decided that an operation would be the last option. Its all about diet i'm afraid, what worked for him was AllBran Flakes EVERY morning, It doesnt have to be a lot and if he doesnt like the taste mix it with a cereal he does like, after 5 days your son will be regular as clockwork... good luck.

My son is now 6 yrs and has no more problems with constipation as long as he has regular fibre in his diet!

Reply to CoolDevil