Question
Posted by: tammy | 2008/05/21

3kg weight loss

i am 48 years old, weigh 53kg and am approx 1.50 meters tall.
seem to be picking up a little bit of weight. do you think i should try to lose about 3kg as i feel a bit bloated . i have always been about 45kg up util the age of 43 or so and have slowly gained this weight. i try to excercise but it gets tougher and tougher to motivate myself. if i eat only until 12am and then eat normaly would that help? thank you

Dear Tammy
Your present BMI of 23,7 is still nicely within the normal range. If you lose 3 kg then you will have a BMI of 22,2 which is ideal for your height. People do tend to gain about 1 kg in weight per year as they get older because the basic metabolic rate slows down. To combat this and to stimulate your metabolism you do need to do at least 30 min of aerobic exercise a day (skipping, jogging, brisk walking, swimming, cycling, etc). As regards diet, I would recommend that you eat a normal diet, but reduce your fat intake (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), because skipping all food after lunch can counteract your attempts to lose weight and this will also not leave you with enough energy to do your exercises.