Question
Posted by: Danny | 2006/10/28

'bierpens'

I am a 50 year old male. For years I only exercise my one arm mucle to my mounth and back to the bar table. But for the last 13 months, I changed my habbits and started to eat right and stop drinking and over eating.

I also do twice daily a fitness program that starts with cardio exercise on the treadmill whereby I run 10 km, then to light weights for just over a half a hour. Six days a week, and I toutate my routine.

I have lost 15 kg and do look well, exept for my bierpens. I have a sixpack on top of my bierpens. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I do eat the right foods and no suger and corbohidrates or fat. Plenty of fruit and veggies, fish and once a week a piece of red meat.

HI Danny

Well done on losing the weight so far, that's great work!

Unfortunately, there may only be a limited amount that you can do for this problem, mostly because with age, our muscle mass does go down and so losing fat and continuing to lose it becomes more and more difficult. Therefore, this may be something that you can limit, but never completely overcome. Let's hope not.

I would be interested to know your current weight - you may have a few more kilograms to lose, in which case just keeping at it may cause the desired effect. That depends, as I have said, on your current weight.

The other factor is the quality of your training. Certainly, running 10 km a day is going to give you a great amount of cardio exercise, but the intensity of the training is possibly missing. I'm not sure of this though, only you will know. Those 10 km runs you do, are they getting faster and faster, are you getting fitter, or have you reached a level that you seem to be stuck at? If that is the case, then there's an argument to be made for just very slightly increasing the intensity of your runs, even if you do it for 1 km at a time, rather than trying to run 10 km faster than usual. Perhaps you can try 1 km faster than usual, then 1 km slightly slower. Over time, increase this to 2km faster than usual, 1 km slower, then 3 km, 4 km and so on. As you get fitter and faster, you will see changes. But by making the goal fitness, not weight loss, you give yourself a measurable and sustainable goal. That may help you.

I hope this does help, give it a try and see what happens. But hang in there, this is a very very difficult problem.