Question
Posted by: Pop | 2004/11/24

37 to old ?

I never thought the day would come that i'd have a chance of having my own child. I have an adopted daughter that's disabled so I would not like to have a biological child with a problem as well.

I'm involved with a wonderful man who'd like another child.

I adopted because my husband was sterile.

Should I take this chance ? At this age ?

There would be an increased risk of Down's syndrome at your age ( about 1 in 200). This can be tested for during the pregnancy and you could terminate the pregnancy if this were the case.. You would have t decide whether you ar prepared to take that risk.

4
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/25

Go for it if you can!!
My mom also had my sister at 39 and believe me, there is nothing wrong with her eventhough it was a difficult pregnancy with her being flat on her back 6 weeks before the birth.
I just had a baby 6 months ago at 34 and must admit that I was definitely more tired than what I was during my first two pregnancies in my twenties.

Take time out and relax with this pregnancy!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/25

My mother fell pregnant with my brother at 38. He's exceptionally intelligent and healthy. My mom had a natural birth with no pain killers, but she says she was a little more tired than with the 3 previous births in her early to mid twenties.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Me | 2004/11/25

I struggled for 5 years to have my son, who was born when I was 29. We immediately wanted another baby, and we tried and tried and tried and tried and gave up! At the age of 40 I fell pregnant with my daughter - had a fantastic pregnancy and wonderful birth experience - she is now 18th months old, and I don't regret for a minute being a new mom at this age, it's wonderful!
Once you are pregnant your Gynae will perform all the tests to make sure your little one is OK.

Gook luck!

Reply to Me
Posted by: Linda | 2004/11/24

No, 37 is certainly not too old. My mother had her first child at 39 and her second at 41, and we are both normal.

Reply to Linda