Question
Posted by: granny | 2008/01/22

36 weeks baby

my 19 year old daugther is 36 weeks pregrenant, the gyne wants to induce labour as the baby has a enlarged bowel. what is the cause of this and is there any complications after baby is born.

Dear Granny
You must be terribly worried! In some babies the opening of the bowel at the anus is not formed properly and this could maybe cause enlarged bowel. The Gyne probably feels that the baby may need surgery but I am only guessing. The baby may be sickly just after birth and may need to be in an ICU or get surgery soon after being born. Please ask the doctor to explain what he has in mind and what you need to expect? Let me know what happens?

2
Posted by: granny | 2008/02/06

Answer
I do not know the cause but it was picked up on the scan at 36 weeks.
Baby Boy was induced on Friday 1st February Had a op on Sunday the small bowel had a obstruction a 15cm piece was removed and the intestine was joined and also a twisted bowel and his appedentics was removed.

Reply to granny
Posted by: Jesse | 2008/01/23

Shame this is terrilbe - can the baby die of this? I am 36 weeks pregnant at the moment and my heart goes out to you guys!!! What can be the cause of this - and how did your doc pic this Up?

Reply to Jesse