Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/11/04

34 day cycle instead of 28 days

In May this year I went off the pill to try and fall pregnant. I didn't menstruate at all that month and my Gynea said it was due to a hormonal fluctuation from going off the pill. He put me on Clomid for two months. The result was a 37day cycle and 33 day cycle. I decided to stop the "chemicals" and then I had two perfect 28 day cycles. Before I started the Pill (years ago) I was also 28 days EXACTLY. I thought every thing was going back to normal and then suddenly I had a 34 day cycle in September. You can imagine the exitement passing day 33, but the tests were negative! My GP did tests and said my Progestorone levels were very low. She put me on a progestorone supplement. I had another 34 day cycle in October. Again 34 days EXACTLY.
Is it normal for cycles to fluctuate like that.From 28 to 34? I am 35 years old. Am I starting with an early menopouse?? Will it influance fertility?

Fluctuation in cycles does occur. The 28 day cycles were just after stopping Clomid, so you may find that you settle into a 34 day cycle. This is not a sign of menopause and, if the periods are regular should not affect fertility.

Posted by: Rene | 2004/11/04

I will be 35 next year and when I was younger used to have normal 28 day cycles as I grew older my cycles were anything from 37-39 days. It is normal for your cycles to fluctuate. It is related to stress, etc. Try to relax and take one step at a time. It doesn't help to be anxious. I had my first baby when I was 30 and my gynae said it might take sometime to fall pregnant because I am older now. I am now 20 weeks and only got pregnant after 2 months (didn't really try the first month).

Monitor yourself and consult with your gynae (s/he will tell you when it is the best time to concieve). I am sure you will be preggies in no time.

Rene

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/04

Fluctuations of one or two days either side of the 28 day average is totally normal. Or it could mean that there is some problem like endometrioses or an ovarian cyst. It might not impact your fertility, but could hamper planning your most fertile period of the month. Best to ttc from day 12 to day 24 of your cycle (day one is the first day of menstruation). Since you are 35, you should see a fertility specialist after 6 months of ttc without falling pregnant.
Good luck!

Reply to Golly