Question
Posted by: Velly | 2003/12/09

30 weeks pregnant, 1cm dilated!!!

Yesterday I went to the clinic for routine checkup, they told me that I was 1 cm dilated! I was also experiencing some burning sensation after passing urine! They said maybe it's urinary tract infection which is causing the dilation! I am only 30 weeks and very, very worried!!

Could it really be urinary tract infection causing this? What are the chances of the baby getting infections if the cervix is opened? What are the risks?? I

Urinary tract infections can cause preterm labour. Thus, if you have any contractions or 'show' you should see your doctor immediately. If the urinary tract infection is treated, the risk should be removed though. The bladder infection will not be transferred to the fetus and 1 cm of dilatation is not very great, so there would not really be a risk of infection to the fetus.

1
Posted by: Belle | 2003/12/09

Hi Velly

I was about 2cm dilated with my first baby for about 3 weeks before delivery, I don't think that that is a problem unless you start to get strong cramps. If you do have an infection though I don't know what the complications would be. Rather go see a doctor and don't be afraid to ask questions and insist on an answer that you understand, they don't always seem to realise that we don't know how all these things work but you have a right to set your mind at ease.

Reply to Belle