Question
Posted by: padi | 2004/02/04

30 weeks but small tummy

i am 30 weeks pregnant but my tummy is so small. everyone says i look very small and this upsets me. before i fell pregnant my weight was 50kg but now its 56kg. i still wear most of my clothes but my shoe size is now 6 because the feet are swelling.

on saturday i went for my check up at the gynae and he referred me to the radiologist because he was worried about the growth of the unborn baby, saying that the tummy is so small. the radiologists checked everything and assured me that the baby is 100% fine. the heart is beating, the bladder is working fine and all other parts of the body are fully developed.

do u think theres a problem or is this normal? my due date is 7 april 2004 and i think the unborn baby will still grow. other factor which contributes to this is that i have been thin all my life, never gained weight even though i eat a lot. i started gaining weight when i fell pregnant.

maybe another contributing factor is being depressed. i have been depressed since i was told that im pregnant and sometimes cry. why do i feel so empty inside? please help and recomend some medication if possible

You are quite small, so you probably would show small. If the scan showed that the baby was growing well,then there is nothing to worry about.
If you are feeling depressed, you should see a therapist. You will not be able to buy anti-depressants over the counter. It would be important to have a proper assessment.

1
Posted by: Belle | 2004/02/04

Hi padi

With my first child my stomach was huge but I only picked up 14kgs. It was a girl and weighed 3.5kgs. With my second child I was also small, I only picked up 9kgs for the whole 9 months. Only at 7 months did people start to notice that I was pregnant. It was a boy and he weighed 3.95kgs. Baby should be fine but start to look after yourself better. Do what you need to to sort yourself out. Go see a shrink if necessary. Things dont get easier when the baby arrives. We all suffer with hormones during pregnancy but if you feel that your depression is becomming out of control do something about it now.

Reply to Belle