Question
Posted by: sh3lm@rt | 2007/07/16

30% protein, 20% fat, 50% carb diet OK?

In an effort to break a weight-loss plateau that's been hanging on for three months, I'm stepping up my training level and am considering following a diet plan that recommends getting 30% of total calories from LEAN sources of protein; 29% from healthy fats; and 50% from carbs, with the emphasis heavily on fibrous and starchy carbs and little or no refined carbs.

I know that diets such as the Grapefruit Diet are considered unsafe because they include very high protein.

I am interested to hear with the DietDoc has to say about the diet that I've described. As a woman of 50, weight 175 lb, I will end up eating 125 to 150 gm of protein every day.

Dear Sh3lm@rt
The diet you describe is acceptable provided you use only low-fat sources of protein (e.g. fat-free milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, very lean meat esp chicken breast without the skin, venison and ostrich, white meat fish, only 4 eggs per week and pork with all the visible fat cut off). The reason why I am not in favour of the usual high-protein diets (e.g. the grapefruit diet) is that they tell people that they can eat a much meat as they like and have eggs every day. The fact that you are still going to eat 50% carbs with a high fibre content is also positive. To lose weight you must just ensure that this diet you are going to use does not provide more than 6300 kJ per day. The fact that you are going to increase your training will also promote weight loss - concentrate on aerobic exercises to burn more energy.