Question
Posted by: Tersha | 2007/07/24

3 year old suffers with leg pains

My 3 year old son suffers with leg pains, sometimes just above the knee and sometimes on the calf. This will happen mostly at night that he complains about the pain in his legs, sometimes both legs and othertimes only the one. What causes this and is there anything I can use to rub his legs to relieve the pain? He started having these pains last year just before he had a ruptured appendix in Nov '06. We thought the leg pains might have been due to the problem with his appendix and that it would have passed after the operation. Please help me, I do not know if this is serious or if I am over reacting. Thank you

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Tersha,

It sounds as if this problem has been going on for some time now. As a consequence of this, I would suggest that you arrange for an assessment of your son to ascertain the cause of his problem. Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to provide a diagnosis here without an examination. I would suggest that you intially consult an Osteopath or Physio who specialise in the treatment of children. They will be able to assess your son fully and either suggest an appropriate form of treatment or refer him to another source of care.

As this has been going on for a long time now, I would suggest that this is done with a degree of urgency.

Best wishes,

Dr. Gary Riley