Question
Posted by: Jane | 2003/12/18

3 weeks to lose weight

Hi there,
I have a window of oppertunity to really slim down in January - because my boyfriend will be away for 3 weeks. We are then going on a big holiday so I want to look fab. I don't have a weight problem - I just want to knock off about 4 kgs.
Aside from excercising every second day, what is the ideal diet for me to follow.
21 days of no carbs?? Or 21 days of only fruit & veg?
I understand the whole balanced diet thing but I really want to see results after 21days.
Your advice would be much appreciated.

Dear Jane
If your body weight is already low, then you may have difficulty in losing those 4 kg - your body may resist losing more weight. The time frame is also not long enough for you to lose 4 kg, unless you do starve yourself, in which case you will pick up the weight again as soon as you start eating normally - which is not a good thing as you may fall into the yo-yo dieting trap. I would always opt for a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet, but of the 2 scenarios you suggest, the fruit and veg plus some fat-free milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt plus the odd egg, is better than the no carbs diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet just in case you get bored with eating only fruit and veg. Keep up the exercise.