Question
Posted by: Duds | 2005/01/11

3 weeks preg.....very urgent!!!!

I went to my gp for preg test yesterday, and the results came back positive 3 weeks preg ( the line is faint red and the one bold) I am so excited as this is my first time. my hubby and I have been tying for a year now. my gp said i should come back after two weeks so he sends me to gynae.
today I feel some pains on my left abdomen the pain is not far from the one I get when menstrual pains, but it is gone now. I am so scared I do not want to loose this, is it normal? i feel so dizzy and tired and wanting to sleep, am always thirsty.sometimes i feel like am gona vomit.
please are these normal?

Your symptoms are all normal. Stretching of the ligaments can cause mild pain early on.

10
Posted by: jo | 2005/01/11

Most gynaes will only want to see you at about 8w, if you've been to your gp and all is well. At this stage you should be able to pick up the fetal heartbeat, which is the most incredible moment of all! Also, if they do pick up a heartbeat, even though miscarraige can happen at any time, your chances of it happening are greatly reduced. Enjoy, take your vitamins and folic acid, and eat ginger biscuits for nausea. Try non-wired bras for comfort, underwired ones become uncomfortable early on.

Reply to jo
Posted by: Duds | 2005/01/11

Sanet

My gp said he will book me in to the gynae after 2 weeks from now I guess after 5 wks one can go to the gyne what are the other ladies saying?
my niples especially are very sore sometime i do not want to put a bra on, everything irritates me.

Reply to Duds
Posted by: Sanet | 2005/01/11

Duds,

The pains are not so regular anymore, but I forgot to add in my first mail about the breast tenderness, which I still have.

Thanks for the explanation Regina - it makes sense!!

When more or less should I schedule the first appointment with the gynea?

Reply to Sanet
Posted by: Renira | 2005/01/11

Dear Sanet,

It is correct that the fetal age is approximately 2 weeks younger than the time you will be counting. Gestation is 38weeks but we count to 40.

The thing is that no-one can tell exactly when conception takes place and so we count from the start of the last menstrual period. So although I say I am 5 weeks, the baby is only about 3 weeks old.

It is just a counting convention.

I hope that helps, if anyone can explain better, please do.

Renira

Reply to Renira
Posted by: Duds | 2005/01/11

thanks Sanet,

Am so relieved to hear that I am not alone in this, I was really getting worried, so how do you feel now? you are about a month now hey. goodluck to you, I know the Lord will make a good way for all of us all.

thanks once again

Reply to Duds
Posted by: Sanet | 2005/01/11

Hi Duds

Congrats!!! I experienced exactly the same symptoms than you, well it started with the normal menstrual cramps, more to the sides, and I thought well, that time of the month again. That was about X-mas time, but no menstruation. I did a home pregnancy test on Friday which showed positive!! The last few days I have been a little dizzy and shaky in the mornings, and also quite nauseous. Coffee also seemed to taste awful to me!!!

I used to suffer from migraines every month before my cycle, and I still get quite severe headaches. I know when you're pregnant the medication you can take is very limited. Can anyone give me some more info on this please?

Also another question.. Renira, I see you say you count from the date of your last menstrual cycle to work out how many weeks you are pregnant. Surely after the last menstrual cycle, ovulation had to take place first which is normally 14 days after menstruation before conception could take place. Aren't you suppose to count from that date?

Thanks!

Reply to Sanet
Posted by: Duds | 2005/01/11

oh ladies,

thanks so much, yes you right, Kippie I get this sharp pain but not all the time. i guess I must get the folic acid from the pharm today as your adv. and these pains are not severe yes.

wish me luck

thanks again

Reply to Duds
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/11

These pains are normal yes, as long as they are not severe.
You will also experience sharp pains when getting up quickly, so take it slow.
Menstrual cramps are also unfortunately normall.
Do not worry too much, I know how desperately one would like a little angel (it was that way for me too).
Make an appointment with your gynae asap and take your folic acid, available from any pharmacy.
Any bleeding is not normal in pregnancy - that is the only time you should get worried - and then see your doc asap.
But apart from that, enjoy every moment - CONGRATS!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Duds | 2005/01/11

thanks Renira,

You mean these pains are normal?thanks for making my nerves calms, I want to nurse this dear.congrats to yu as well, jah my doc said I am 3 wks, I do not know how, as yest was supposed to be my first day of periods.

Reply to Duds
Posted by: Renira | 2005/01/11

Congratulations on your pregnancy... Looks like we are having a really lucky spell.

Your signs are normal. You will experience period like cramps and it is your uterus expanding and your baby attaching properly.

How can you tell that you are three weeks from a home preg test? You can count from the date of your last menstrual cycle and that will tell you how many weeks you are.

I am now 5 weeks and 3 days preggies and so we must be due around the same time.

Congratulations again.

Renira

Reply to Renira